Friday, April 27, 2012

Trees in my yard

Aren't these flowers gorgeous? And they smell amazing.  I love having 3 trees in my side yard that bloom.  Hopefully we'll be able to add a few more around the driveway for next year. 
This is an Improved Canadian Choke Cherry and it doesn't fruit.

And here's our baby Beek, Kiwi.  I had him outside and thought the tree made a gorgeous background. Ignore my hand - but I don't have a portable perch other than myself. 

Peach wood is toxic to parrots so I didn't let him sit on it.  Aren't the blossoms beautiful?  This is what we had last year. This peach tree was bare root 4 years ago.

Here's the peach tree as it was starting to bud.

 And another view of a branch from the Choke Cherry.

Here it was a week ago just before the blooms started to appear.

And here is the new Braeburn Apple tree.  I picked this bare root tree because I like the idea of apple that you can store in the fruit room for up to 3 months.  It will give me the chance to recover from canning tomatoes before I go ahead and make apple pie filling, apple butter, and apple sauce. It'll be a few years but it this time I actually fenced around the baby apple trees so that the deer don't kill them again.

You can see both fences here.  I had corn in this spot last year.   

And here you can see the leaves are starting to show up - which reminds me, I need to add another dose of rooting hormone.

And this one is the Gala Apple.




No comments: