Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Photographing in the Garden - Horizontal and Vertical

I planted this peach tree last spring and pruned it up just like they told me in Andersons in the garden center.  Now I am going to have to find an expert to tell me what to do now.  I haven't a clue.  I solve this problem by asking questions. Here is one of the last blossoms.  The kids are so excited to grow their own peach I might just let it grow at least one or two this year.  

Nikon D7000, 50mm 1.8,  f1.8, 1/1250, ISO 200 and 6:57 p.m.
I was fighting with the sun on this one so it's not in a third but that's okay.  I like it. That's what matters. The leading lines help to compensate for that.  The branches lead you right to the blossom.

So here is another angle on photographing this blossom.  I love how the depth of field blurs the leaves closest to and furthest from the camera.  To me, depth of field used properly is a sign of a photographer who knows what they are doing or at least has an artistic eye. Depth of field helps you focus on the subject too.   
Nikon D7000, 50mm 1.8,  f1.8, 1/1000, ISO 200 and 6:57 p.m.


And here is the Dragon's Tongue Sedum.  I have two types.  One has red succulent leaves with red blossoms and this one is bright green with bright pink blossoms that remind me of The Dragon Who Liked to Spit Fire. It's extremely drought tolerant and transplants like you'd not believe.  I pulled a few pieces, stick them between some rocks in the backyard, watered them once and forgot about them.  Those 3 pieces are now 50 or more and snuggled right in between the rocks.

Nikon D7000, 50mm 1.8,  f2.8, 1/1250, ISO 200 and 6:54 p.m.

While the straight on shot is great its also nice to photograph from the side and also turn the camera orientation to horizontal. Click on this one to see it in more detail.



No comments: