Saturday, June 01, 2013

My herb garden progress

My chives are blossoming and they are much bigger and the colors are gorgeous this year.  I hear there are all sorts of things you can do with chive blossoms but I would rather just stare at them in delight!




Even the buds are beautiful!

The plant is much bigger this year.  This will be its third summer in my yard and what a difference! I love it.  I'm starting to think of other places where I could plant it.  Even when the blooms die back, it makes a great filler plant.

My oregano is doing well.  It's a perennial here in Utah and so I don't have to worry about it.  Every spring it just sprouts right out of the ground.  I'm about ready to cut off a few sprigs to dry and then grind up - I think it has a stronger flavor dried. 



Does garlic count as an herb?  I have no idea but I'm adding it to this post anyway because I use it to flavor my food.  The hard neck garlic is already waist high.  Pretty soon we'll be collecting the garlic scapes and roasting them with yukon gold potatoes. yum!

I really have two rows of garlic which is total overkill but I am going to use most of one row to replant for next year - and hopefully I can make myself stick to one row!



1 comment:

Cristy said...

My oregano is a thug. I love it, but it tries to take over everything.

I prefer mine dried, too, and thought there was something wrong with me for preferring it that way. I am glad to hear that I am not alone in that preference.