Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Year in Review - Blessed

I must say that 2012 was a great year for me.  My husband and I celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary.  I was blessed with an amazing harvest in my garden.  And I spent plenty of time doing fun things with my children and had the energy to do it. The daily migraines have turned into once a quarter migraines.  And so I wanted to spend a little time sharing what I'm grateful for.  This post is all about my husband, his qualities, and how he has blessed my life.  

"Indeed, one of the greatest things a man can do for his children is to love their mother."

I was thinking recently about my dad who just had a total knee replacement and the values he instilled in me as a child.  He set a good example for my by loving my mother.  He also taught me about the kind of man I would want as a husband.  


Tyler is so good about complimenting me. 


He sends me flowers at the most unexpected times.


He always mows the lawn.  He has never asked me to do it. And he is teaching our son to be responsible and work hard without being asked.


He coaches our son's soccer team every spring.


And this year he coached our son's basketball team and our daughter's team as well. 


He loves helping and teaching our children to be careful and creative.  Here our son is using a drill to carve out around a fossil.


He gives our children opportunities to learn by experience and not just by talking to them.


He likes to have fun and loves to laugh.


This winter he went out in the freezing cold to save our house from pouring rain in January.  The ground was frozen and it was hard work but he did it.


He takes time off work to support our children.


He holds hands with our children and in this case he patiently waited while our son, who had just finished kindergarten, read the plaques describing the plants and animals of the area.  


He purchased me a pet. He was not sure about this.  We haven't had a pet before.  Birds were foreign to him. He drove me an hour and a half to the shop to pick up Kiwi and purchased a large beautiful sleeping cage.  He's often seen with Kiwi on his shoulder and he even taught him a trick.


He loves to be outside and he makes sure he takes us with him.  He is so patient as our children learn to ski and board.  And he is an amazing and athletic skier. 


He loves adventure and travel.  This year he took us to Vernal to see the Dinosaur bones in the mountain side. He took us to Yellowstone to explore and hike the area.  He took us to Mt. Timpanogos Cave for a nice hike. He even took us to Disneyland, Universal Studios, and Sea World this year.  


He honors his Priesthood commitments.  He is an Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood in our church and remains worthy to attend the temple, administer priesthood blessings, and keeps his covenants. He pays his tithing, keeps the word of wisdom and refrains from coffee, alcohol, smoking, illegal drug use, and eats well. 


He loves being outside and takes us hiking.  Oh and in this photo you can see he loves his extended family too. We took 3 nephews with us to Naomi Peak.


He is the gift giver of the family and always makes sure we have an enjoyable Christmas no matter the budget.  


He even waited in line for 30 minutes and then posed with a Disney Princess.


He is strong and exercised every morning except Sunday.


He shows his gratitude for even the silliest gifts.


And he loves me, is kind and gentle.  He never puts watching sports ahead of my needs.  I have never had to ask him to put down the remote. He puts our needs ahead of his constantly. He is observant. He fills my heart with joy.  He makes me want to be a better person. 

Tyler, I love you! Thanks for all you do.


President David O. McKay: “No other success in life can compensate for failure in the home”

“The most important of the Lord’s work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes” Harold B. Lee


1 comment:

Corie said...

What a sweet and loving tribute to your husband, Laura! Thanks for sharing! You've inspired me to make a list of all of the reasons why I love my own hubby! :o) Thanks!