Thursday, February 05, 2009

thinking back

It was 25 years ago that I was confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, in sacrament meeting by my father. The day before, I stepped into the font in the Cardenas Ward building in Panama (the country) and was baptized by my father. It had been about 10 years since he had joined the church, so it was full circle for him. I remember how cold the water was and that we forgot my towel. My mom made me a beautiful white dress to wear that day but I had to wear one of those white jump suits for the actual baptism. I remember the warm feeling inside, feeling loved by my Heavenly Father. I know deep within that I made the right decision to be baptized then. I can't believe it's been 25 years. 25 more years of scripture study, prayer, church attendance, and serving in church callings. Next year, my daughter will have the opportunity to be baptized herself. And I hope that years from now, she too will know she made the right decision.

I recently got back in touch with one of the families I worked with during my mission in DC. And she showed me photos of her husband (the one we taught and saw baptized) and he was baptizing their oldest at the age of 8. Little H was born just weeks after I returned home from that full time mission. To see it go full circle is such an amazing feeling. And I began to think back on other events. Jerome baptized his daughter as well (she was all grown up at that point). Several of those that I taught have gone to the temple too. Today is a wonderful day as I think back on all the blessings I have received from my Heavenly Father.

I just found this:

1 comment:

thejohnmfamily said...

I was so afraid I would drown during my baptism. Isn't it funny what we remember about certain events?