Wednesday, March 27, 2013

More about Dutch Cabbage and Blue Kale from Anderson's Seed & Garden

The cabbage is looking really good.  I found that while Dutch round ball cabbage tends to split, it also grows quickly and around here we want it done and out of the ground before the July heat hits.  I just have to keep my eye on it. 

Here's more about it from AndersonsAn Anderson’s favorite.  Danish Ballhead is a heavy producing blue-green variety with large 6-7 inch round heads that often weigh 5 – 6lbs. Late fall and storage variety that is good cooked or raw in salads and coleslaw. Plant cabbage in sunny location where no cabbage or broccoli was grown the year before. Rich soil and regular waterings are to its liking. 110 days to harvest.

I am trying to grow Kale this year for Kiwi and Mambo but also to try some kale chips. I found a recipe in a Martha Stewart magazine the other day while at instacare that I can't wait to try.

Here is more about Kale from AndersonsLow, compact plants with finely curled, bluish-green leaves. Good cooked or fresh in salads. Grows best in cool weather. Can be grown as a spring or fall crop. 55 days to harvest.


I purchased the seeds at Anderson's Seed & Garden and the peat pots at Lowes.

No comments: