Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Alliums


I am super excited about these plants.  It's the first time I've added them into the garden and I've admired them for years all over town.  The deer don't like them because of their onion/garlic taste. Being deer resistant is a major plus here! And the bulbs not only divide but they produce seeds that also produce more plants.  Makes me wonder if it's going to be a jungle next year.  Regardless I planted two varieties. These little ones were 65 cents a piece.  The larger 3 are just starting to poke through the ground and they were $5/each.  Depending on which I like best I'll be heading to the garden store in the fall for more giant purple puff ball blooms.

I'd like to mulch this year but I think that at $54/yd for river rock (I need something that will not blow away) I'm going to have to wait a while - or just buy one cubic yard of river rock and add it to the west side of the house. We'll see what the budget can handle.

No comments: