Tuesday, December 01, 2009

25 photos 'til Christmas - Day 1

This is the first Christmas decoration Tyler bought for me. It is a very simple glass nativity set with Mary, Joseph, & the Christ child along with the three wise men. It's been 10 years now and I still love bringing this out and displaying it. I love sentimental stuff! Of course I also have a Willow Tree nativity which I love.

I still haven't purchased anything for my children for Christmas. Need to get on the ball with that. I did finally finish the scrapbook pages for my in-laws and I have several done for my parents and siblings.

Some of my friends do the whole 4 gifts thing: something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to read.

Some of them buy only three gifts for their children because the Savior received 3 gifts from the wise men.

Some of them go all out.

One of them makes sure that her children get 2 gifts from Santa and if they have more money they can get more gifts but if they are struggling then they only get gifts from Santa.

I haven't decided what I am going to do other than I want to keep it simple. A few years ago I bought a large nativity set and display it in the living room. That made all of the difference in the world for me.

How do you handle the whole gift exchange idea? I'd love your input.

1 comment:

thejohnmfamily said...

Well, ours is pretty simple. I give my kids stuff they need (Gavin needs an umbrella, I'm sick of sharing mine with him), and they get things that are useful and educational (books, toys and games that teach something, etc.). All the "fun" stuff comes from the grandparents. I get so sick of all the consumerism that I can't bear to buy gifts just for the sake of buying gifts. But, I am major grumpy about the Santa thing and my kids know that the presents come from mom and dad. We try and spend the season focusing more on doing things for other people, doing chores to "earn money" to buy gifts for each other, etc. I wish I had better suggestions! Oh, and I did a lot of my shopping online. Very convenient!