Sunday, August 14, 2011

canning Green Beans - part C

I love this little spatula for removing the air bubbles from the green beans.  Just run it around the sides and press inward.  

It also has these handy little notches on the other end so that you can measure the head room at the top of the jar.  Green beans need an inch.

Wipe the tops of the jars with a wet cloth to clean any residue off.  This helps get a secure fit. And this handy little lid lifter - because you don't want to try and chase these lids around in a pot of hot water.  This lid lifter helps keep things sanitary and it's a serious time saver.

Tighten the lids down but don't over do.  The air needs a little room to escape. Grab the finished 

Place the prepared jars in your pressure canner.

 Just like this.  My canner fits 7 quarts or 20 pints.  It's a Presto.  

 Close it up and bring it to a boil.  Let the steady stream of steam escape for 10 minutes. Then bring it up to pressure.  I live at 5,000 feet so the canner books says 13 lbs and the Ball canning book says 15 lbs.  It's better to be safe than sorry.  15 lbs it is.  When it reaches the right pressure then start your timer.  25 minutes for quarts.

More soon...

1 comment:

Rhonda Gales said...

I purchased the Ball Canning set last week. I love it, it has everything needed for the canning experience. I was late putting in my greenbeans this year, the groundhogs ate them down to the ground 4 times. I'm hoping that I will get a crop before the first frost. Yours look yummy.