Saturday, March 09, 2013

Egg Shells


How is your egg shell stash coming along? I don't have quite as many shells as I did last year.  For those of you new to my blog, I save my egg shells and place them in the ground when I transplant my tomatoes.  If there are shells left over, I add them to the ground with the pepper transplants.  


Maybe you are wondering why I put them in the ground with my tomatoes and peppers.  Well I've found out that it's sometimes difficult to regulate the water throughout the garden without having to build several separate drip line systems.  Some plants need more water than others. And if you live in an area where you rely on rain to water your plants, you know just how unpredictable it can be. Blossom end rot is the result of too much water - it washes away the calcium in the soil.  Because egg shells are high in calcium it takes about a handful per plant to prevent blossom end rot.


It's really simple and it's free! Dig a hole in your garden where you want to add your transplants, after sufficient hardening off, and throw in a handful of egg shells.  Mix the shells in with the loose dirt on the bottom and sides of the hole.  Place your transplant in there and fill in with soil.  

No comments: