Saturday, July 09, 2011

Soil

I love soil, I hate soil.  But I think I finally found out what I need to do to get it right.  I have a Row type garden and a square foot type garden.  I love them both.  Improving the soil is a pain.  I found out that Millers products have high salt content because a lot of their stuff comes from an area left behind from Lake Bonneville. The plants don't like all that salt. OOPS.


 The garden center owner I visited with has a son who is a soil scientist. If you'd like to know which garden center, email me.  He said THIS FALL to add all the grass clippings and leaves I can find (3 to 4 inches) and then cow poop - lots of it. Then add the recommended amount of nitrate and he said my garden will almost grow out of control with no need for fertilizer next year.   Good thing there is a guy nearby trying to get rid of some of that.  He'll drop it off in my garden when he drops it off at the neighbor's garden.  I can just hear the gears in your head spinning.  Quit it.  I know the jokes.  Ok whatever.  Go ahead and laugh.  My other neighbor is.  His garden looks amazing compared to mine.  He talked to that garden center about 10 years ago.  I've lived and learned.

1 comment:

Rhonda Gales said...

Isn't nice to have neighbors with all the compost you need for free! My neighbor has tons of grass clippings and fall leaves that I will be using in my compost bins and garden this fall. My yard used to be a pig pen, so it is already fertilized well, lol. You will see a big difference in your garden. My squash and zuchinni are out of control already. Can't wait to see what happens next year after I add the clippings and leaves.