Monday, May 02, 2011

Sprout Count


Like I shared before, we have onions, kohlrabi, garlic, cabbage, and lettuce out in the garden.  But I thought I might give you a count of what I am growing inside - my sprouts. 


I guess I haven't really kept track of what I've been up to and there is still more to sprout after this. I went through my seeds this morning and wow! 

So here goes (sprouts growing as of May 2, 2011):

Genovese Basil: 6 
but waiting on 18 more (just planted last week)
Bell Peppers: 12
Jalapenos: 18
Early Girl Tomato: 17
Roma Tomato: 13
DX-52-12 tomato: 12 

New This Year
Chives: 1 gallon pot
Dill: 12

I plan on putting the basil next to the house in a flower bed.  I've been very inspired but the edible garden I saw in last month's issue of Better Homes and Gardens and genovese basil is a gorgeous plant.  I can almost taste the bruschetta thanks to Udi's gluten free bread.  


I just recently removed the heating pad from beneath the jalapenos and bell peppers.  They take about 2 to 3 weeks to sprout.

And here is one of the new items I am giving a try this year. Dill. Oh and chives - did you know chive flowers are gorgeous and edible?  I'm not sure I'm game on eating flowers.

 My amazing friend Tera recommended that I grow dill.  You certainly don't need 12 - unless you grow 100+ cucumber plants.  But I've never grown dill before and I wanted to make sure a few sprouted.  I hear that not only are fresh dill sprigs great for dill pickles, it's great on halibut which I could practically eat all summer because it cooks on the grill and keeps my house cooler. 

And guess what???

Dill attracts tomato horn worms - they like dill better than tomatoes - and they are easier to catch because horn worms are wide and dill plants are much more slender than tomato plants.  I am going to try and add the paper towel rolls around the tomato plant base stems. - they are better than styrofoam cups and are biodegradable.

 So I'm going to be giving away a few tomato and dill plants this season.  There is a widow down the road that I bring a few to.  I love visiting with her and it's become tradition.  This will be the 3rd year. I'm sure my mother in law will take some.  She has the magic touch when it comes to growing tomatoes and she can keep them alive longer than anyone I know. 

What's next - in a few weeks - pumpkins, squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumbers.  You should only keep them inside for 2 weeks or so or else the plants just don't want to grow.

IF YOU THINK YOU DON'T HAVE ROOM, YOU'RE WRONG.  ALL OF THESE PLANTS HAVE BEEN GROWING IN WINDOW MY DINING ROOM AND LIVING ROOM WINDOW SILLS.  

No comments: