Monday, August 03, 2009

My garden ... what a blessing

HK shelled all of those peas. Some of them were extra big - oops. The smaller they are the better they taste. On Saturday I sat on one end of the table with HK at the other end. I worked on snapping the ends of all the beans I picked. I picked 3 and a half pounds (1600 grams) of bean that morning. They are just starting to reach the right size for picking. HK and I enjoyed an hour of talking and working together. She actually worked the entire hour. She is learning that being provident is an important life skill that is very rewarding. She dropped a few peas and we talked about being careful and how every pea counts. One pea may not seem like much, but it adds up. Just like one row of peas doesn't really amount to much (may be a $1.50 worth or one bag of peas from the store) but when you take into consideration the corn, peas, snow peas, red and yukon gold potatoes, red, green, and walla walla onions, squash and zucchini, cucumbers, roma, plum, and big beef tomatoes, basil, lavender, cabbage, carrots, spinach, and four types of pumpkins - well, it adds up. It's so worth the work!

Here you can see the shelled peas, the always out of control zucchini plants, my red onions (I'm going to have to plant some more spinach so I can enjoy my red onion/spinach/feta cheese/bacon salad.), and my genovese basil plants. I found that the basil did better planted right in the ground, rather than trying to transplant it.


Here you can see the 1600 grams of green beans, my best cucumber plant, the beautiful white blossoms of the jalapeno plant and an up close view of the basil's curly leaves.



Our first crook neck squash! And the sun setting near the mountains (I was messing around with manual mode). We may or may not have a jack-o-lantern pumpkin this year - but at least there is hope with this little guy showing up FINALLY! And I forgot to delete some of the photos but this is the echinacia I bought on clearance - it's a perennial, so next year it should look a million times better.


The corn silk is just now showing up, as well as the tassles. Again, playing with my camera settings - low f-stop of 4 something. Walla Walla onion - I never saw this on my yellow onions last year. Can you say SALSA?

Again I forgot to delete some of these but I love the view from the upper section of my backyard.


Carrots and grass clippings, a baby Spirit Bush pumpkin, three baby Pumpkimons, and looking west over my garden.


9 half rows of green bean plants, the last of my snow peas, finally a sweet slice cucumber, and the ultra amazing cone flowers (all things denote there is a God - I so believe it when I see beauty in nature)


Squash plant, two pics of our out of control lemon thyme (want some? it transplants easily) it's just over taking my rock stairs. And last but not least - Roma Tomatoes! Every branch is loaded like this. Again: SALSA time is just right around the corner!

1 comment:

Marne said...

Laura, you are AMAZING.