Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society

I am SO excited! I am going to be speaking in April 2008 at the Opening Ceremony for the the very first Utah State University - Relay for Life - put on by the students. The lady who is in charge of the one for our valley asked me to speak. She said that she wants the students to see that cancer can happen to a young person and that it is not just an old person's disease. Of course when you are in college, 32 seems ancient. What a privilege it is to help raise awareness for cancer research among these university students. One nice thing is that this one will be indoors. I am excited to help out!

6 comments:

The Jones Family said...

Way to go! I bet it will be a blast! Good Luck.

Mandee said...

Good luck, I am sure you will do a great job and I think it is important for people to understand that cancer could hit anyone, not just the elderly. Let us know how it goes.

Roula said...

Hi Laura,
I came across your blog and you have been an inspiration to me as I too am battling Lymphoma, non-hodgkin's disease. I just turned 32and have a 6 yr old little boy. We both know that having children is the most difficult aspect of this attrocious disease. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thank you.Although the chemo is harsh & I've had all the side effects in the books, I'm still fighting.
Roula Zogopoulos (NY)

Roula said...

Laura, I forgot to share my blog page with you. www.livingwithlymphoma.blogspot.com

Beeks by the Lake said...

thanks for your support! I am excited to do this and hopefully I will be able to make a dent...of course when you are in college you are invincible!

Trevor and Amy said...

Congratulations! That is so neat! I know you will do such a good job! You are a great speaker! (At least what I saw from your digi scrap class) That is so neat that you are helping people our age become more aware! I'm going to be involved in a relay for life in Idaho with my family in June. I am way excited for it, but I don't know that I would want to speak in front of everyone. Way to go! That's great!