Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tessa Bassett - Thriving!

This past weekend I got to meet one the most amazing people to ever live on this earth.  She is a mother of two beautiful children.  She had Hodgkins Lymphoma three times.  I had Hodgkins too.  I first heard about Tessa's story from my sister-in-law Kaleena.  And then I saw a link to Tessa's blog from Jalane's blog.  And I found out I knew her sister-in-law.  I watched the video the LDS church did about her and I admired her amazing outlook on life and family. When I saw that she had Hodgkins I had to follow her blog.  A young mom with Hodgkins who shared the same faith as I did.  And I still follow her blog.  

I commented on her blog a few times.  I sent her some OnGuard toothpaste to help with mouth sores.  And I finally got to meet her at the Cache Valley for Hope - Gathering of Hope. Her kids are just as cute as they are in photos.  Her husband is much taller than I would have guessed.  I asked her a few questions and she asked me a few too.  She's waiting to hear back if she has thyroid cancer - good ol' radiation.  She's a little tired but who wouldn't be after just completing a bone marrow transplant and dealing with a malfunctioning thyroid. The radiation I received to my neck did a number on me too but there is hope.  I've tried herbal stuff and oils.  I've tried special lights.  Laser treatments. You name it, I've probably tried it.  Plain old brand name Synthroid works the best and having a good endocrinologist too.  Oh and a counselor didn't hurt me either.  I can honestly say that I have more energy now than I ever remember having.  A good TSH level and a great mindset has been the best medicine. Someday I will tell you more about ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and all the good it did.

She has such a light about her. Why would a person in her situation be filled with light?  So many reasons and I'll name a few. She has hope. Tessa is the real thing.  I watched her move around the room at the Gathering of Hope.  She shared her smile and hugs as she encouraged those cancer patients who were in the middle of it all. Even when she takes a moment to reach inward it is to make herself better so she can have the strength and energy to reach outward again. Thank you Tessa for being such a great example of Thriving! 

No comments: