Monday, July 30, 2012

Harvest Monday - July 30, 2012

Kiwi is sneaking a a Victory Freezer pea just seconds after I dumped them on the table. 

I gave him this one and then I put him in the living room on the window sill to snack on it.

I had several little helpers.  My son and Kiwi both thought that they needed to shell peas.  My son was a great big help.  Kiwi was not although he was very cute to watch.

My daughter was all excited about the new oven mitts I made.  I should not go into the Bernina shop in the old Main Street area.  It's a fun little quilt shop, I think it's called Stylish Fabrics or something like that.  I purchased the patterns, two fat quarters, the rick rack, hobbs 80/20 batting, and the insul-batting. Now I'll be making some more for Christmas gifts ...

My son said it looked like an angel.


Just having fun with the 50 mm lens.


Here they are all spread out on the silpat in the cookie sheet.  This way they freeze individually.  I don't blanch them before.  I learned this from Stoney Acres. They are so tasty this way.  If I get a craving for something sweet, I can just grab a handful of frozen peas.

 I like to cover them up before I pop them into the freezer just incase someone tries to dump them on accident.

I also picked 12.5 lbs of green beans.  Thankfully my husband helped me snap the ends off.  I'll be canning those this afternoon. I grew one 15 foot row of wax beans and 90 feet of Jade Bush green beans. They are my favorite green bean after trying several different types.  I will get two more pickings off the plants before the grasshoppers mow them to the ground.


 Where has this summer gone?  At least we have plenty of fun memories.

5 comments:

Cristy said...

Great pictures of your kids. What a great idea to freeze English peas raw on cookie sheets the way you would blueberries! My kids love them raw, and that would be a good way to extend the harvest for them. :) Thanks for the tip.

Michelle said...

You have a bunch of cuties! And the veggies look great too. Looks like you all had lots of fun.

Susan said...

How funny! My cat has been trying to steal our peas, though as she doesn't really like to eat them, I can't figure out her motivation...

Stoney Acres said...

What a great harvest. 15 pounds of beans!!! That's more than we will get all year this year. We had some real germination problems with our beans so we don't have many this year. :( Thanks for the link!!

Stoney Acres said...

What a great harvest!! 15 pounds of beans is way more than we are going to get this year. We had a real problem with germination on our beans so we will be lucky to get 5 pounds. :( Thanks for the link!!