Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Square Foot Garden - and other news

My dad came up with this concept and so I can't take credit for that.  He found this galvanized steel at Smith & Edwards in Ogden, Utah.  I hear they have other size panels too.  This is 6 inches deep and the box measures 10 feet by 3 feet.  The panels have been laying on the ground in his side yard for 4 years. As you can see, they don't rust. 


My Dad also recommended using clothes line cord to make the squares with.  So today I drilled 2 holes on this end that you can see here.  They are 1 foot apart.  On the far end I drilled 1.75 holes.  I would have finished but the fully charged battery gave its all.  So tomorrow if it's not raining I will drill a few more.  I have to drill 9 on each of the long panels too.

And as much as I love galvanized steel, I don't like the color.  So I got out the spray paint.  Let me just say right now that I WILL NEVER BUY SPRAY PAINT AGAIN THAT DOESN'T HAVE A TRIGGER. Trigger sprayers are the ONLY WAY TO GO.  Ouch! I sprayed the water buckets for grandma's train with a trigger sprayer I purchased at Lowes - much better!

For prep I got out my Black and Decker mouse sander and put the scrub pad on it.  Then I quickly buzzed all the way around the outside.  It cleaned it off wonderfully. Then I just sprayed the outside  of the box.  It looks 1000x's better and since my Dad gave me the supplies and I had the spray paint in the closet my bill is a whopping $1.50 for the bolts. 

You can see the weed mat in the bottom here.  I spent the better part of an afternoon digging the grass out of this flower bed.  I have so much more to dig out. Yes, it goes up that hill side.  you can see some of the daisies starting to grow for the season.  But instead of digging I decided to let every thing dry.  

I'll be filling it with the ready made Square Foot Garden mix from Millers.  

#1 reason- I don't want to try and mix it myself.  I have enough to do (like digging).
#2 they have tested everything from the pH to the nutrients to make sure it's complete.  
#3 they are located a few miles from here and a trailer full is less expensive than bags. 

Other news:
I thinned the Spinach today.  Why? Because I used more seeds than normal because they were a few years old and because my 5 year old helped me plant them. And because I hear that spinach needs to be 6" apart.  That means I'll be thinning more when it gets older.  You don't want to thin your vegetables too much the first go round because you don't want to end up losing some and not having enough plants.  

Digital Scrapbooking News: 
I've just started working on a new class for ReneePearson.com  It's going to be available in July hopefully.  I'm learning a new software to put this all together. But it's going to make it look better than ever.

Also, I have another giveaway on Monday MAY 30TH!!!  Oh yeah! And I will post everything in a day or two.  I know you can't wait to see all the prizes we'll be giving away. Can I just say Cathy Zielske is participating this time!

No comments: